Monday, April 2, 2012

Moving Forward

As I mentioned in my post on Hopes vs. Goals, I wanted to develop some prototypes for products. In thinking about things I could put in an Etsy shop, one possibility that occurred to me was specialty pincushions. In February, I mentioned I was working on a pattern. It is finally finished. Given my fascination with butterflies, it seemed only logical to make this first one a butterfly. The pincushion is about 5" square.


I would really value some input from the community. Would you please leave me a comment letting me know what you think?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dianne,
    I like the basic shape of your pincushion and that it's divided into sections.

    The doubledecker effect is interesting, have you tried your butterfly on different shapes, such as a leaf or cloud? With the bit of bright blue we can see, I got the idea of your butterfly floating in the air.

    I'm not too keen on the print you used for the upper wings, it's a bit too large scale for this and I'd think it would be hard to see pins/needles on it. The orange print you used for the lower wings is perfect.

    I also think it would be better to stay with an overall small scale print or more of a solid for the bottom layer, there's a lot of different textures going on in the lower layer distracting the eye from the loveliness at the top.

    Hopefully this is useful for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. You have given me a lot to think about.

      Delete