Saturday, March 26, 2011

Spilling Over

This month's prompt for the The Sketchbook Challenge is "Spilling Over." It took me a while to decide on a direction to take. I have been doing a lot of portrait sketching lately, trying to improve my technique and attain better images. In the end, I decided to sketch a page full of baby faces. I call it "Baby Love."


A baby's face is definitely different from an adult's. The proportions are different, primarily because a baby's hairline generally appears to be much higher. In addition, the nose is, obviously, shorter and wider in comparison. I also found I had to much more careful about the shape of the eyes, as the shape we normally think of is too narrow on the outside.

The sketches also proved good practice in capturing the foreshortening of a body and indicating patterns without color. Altogether, I am pleased with the piece and hope you enjoy it, too.

I'm off to work on finishing my grandson's quilt, so that I can give it back to him next week. Until next time, wishing you peace and all good.

2 comments: